Sunday, January 23, 2011

Electroconvulsive Therapy

Had an interesting day today. Got to observe a patient having electro convulsive therapy, aka electric shock treatment. It was first thing in the morning and along with another nurse I accompanied the patient down to the theatre, witnessed all the pre-op stuff and putting her under general anaesthesia, doing the electric shock which gives them a seizure, staying with her for half an hour while she woke up and then take her back to the ward. It was nothing dramatic like in the movies where the patient screams, only lasted about 1 minute and they are completely unconscious, but very interesting none the less. As she woke up from the anaesthesia she was very wriggly and restless, ripping blood pressure cuff and cords off her, and kept trying to get out of bed so we had to hold her down and tell her to relax. Then when she start talking it was absolute gibberish, like another language, or english but 'word salad'. Then she'd ask perfectly 'I'm not making any sense am I?' or 'Do you know what I mean?' And we'd laugh and say no.

This weekend I worked really hard on my assignment which is worth 50% and has to be done while I'm on this placement. It's gotta be handed in (in Melbourne) 5 days after the placement finishes so I'm trying to get it pretty much all done while I'm here. More on what it's about later.

I've got lots more to write about on my blog, things I've been experiencing and learning about, but I will try to catch up a bit more tomorrow because I need to go and start getting dinner ready tomorrow. Have

No comments:

Post a Comment