Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Group interview experience

The semester is well under way now. In the next four weeks I have 3 more job interviews (already had one this week), one online exam, one 2000 word essay and one group assignment, as well as 2 or 3 days a week of clinical placement. From Saturday to Wednesday I will have five days in a row of clinical placement and then work at my teaching job on Thursday and Friday, AND do an online exam by Friday. In that time I also have to study the material that the exam will be based on because I've only read about a quarter of it so far. I'm getting stuck into that tonight and will continue over the weekend whenever I get a chance. Hopefully get some of it done while I'm on the ward as I still only have to look after 1-2 patients at this stage in the semester.

So the grad year interview I attended earlier this week was with my current number one choice. It was a group interview and I wasn't sure what to expect with that. There were 6 of us doing the interview together and we had to introduce ourselves, interview each other a bit and handover to the rest of the group and the panel about the other person and go to a table to select cards which represent our strengths and 'things we want to work on' and then explain them to the group. I chose reliability and kindness for strengths, and capability and bravery for things I want to work on. There were a few clinical questions about time management and prioritisation of care of a newly admitted suicidal patient. Then we each were interviewed individually which wasn't too harrowing or very long. I felt good about how the whole thing went and I like the 3 people who conducted the interview. For now I will keep them as my first choice, but I still have 3 to go.

Study done so far this week (not much) . .

Lectures
• Chronic Conditions and Models of care
• Psychological aspects of chronic disease
• Culturally appropriate communication

Reading
• Assertiveness skills
• Conflict resolution
• Clinical Practice guidelines for communicating prognosis and end-of-life issues with adults in the advanced stages of a life-limiting illness, and their caregivers

1 comment:

  1. After reading your post, I can feel that you are passion to your course as well as to be a caring nurse:)Hope you can be a good psychiatric nurse in the future:)Your blog is simple but nice:)If can put some photos then will more interesting...If I was your follower, I might to see more photos about your nursing student life:)By the way, I'm appreciate looking forward to your blog:)

    ReplyDelete