Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Basic Life Support Update

At the beginning of last year I did my First Aid Certificate and every 12 months I need to do a refresher for the CPR component. With my new job, I'm lucky that I can do Continuing Professional Education Updates online and it is subsidised. I just did the Basic Life Support Update which was an online tutorial covering the updated guidelines for CPR and basic life support from the Australian Resuscitation Council. The new guidelines incorporate the latest evidence for:
1. Managing an emergency
2. Unconsciousness
3. Airway
4. Breathing
5. Compressions
6. Automated External Defibrillation
7. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation

It cost $12 to do the update which will be deducted from my first pay. For the assessment there are 3 attempts allowed before you have to pay again. In the first attempt I got 8/10 and I checked which ones I got wrong then did the second attempt straight away. The second time I got 10/10.

There are lots of other updates I can do if I want but I'll leave them for now because they cost money. Closer to the time I apply for grad positions I might do a few more because it will be good for my resume.

Found out my timetable which starts next week. It's jam packed with classes Monday to Friday for at least the first few weeks, so I'll be pretty busy and have lots to blog about.

No comments:

Post a Comment