Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Acute Care Practical Exam prep

Mental Health was not too bad, I think I definitely got at least three quarters of the answers right and the rest I made an educated guess. The most annoying thing about the exam was that quite a few questions were repeated and there were loads of typo and grammatical errors which they interrupted us at least 5 or 6 times during the exam to correct them. I don't think the exam was proofread until after it had been printed.

Anyway, that's out of the way now. For today's Acute Care Practical Skills exam I have to be prepared to perform and talk about these three skills: venepuncture, wound packing, and oxygen therapy. I will only do one skill in the exam but won't know which one it is until I get there.

To prepare I have done the following:
Reading:
• Oxygen therapy via nasal cannula or various masks
• Complex wounds – packing a wound
• Venipuncture
• Aseptic dressing technique
• Assessment of breathing
• Positioning a breathless patient
• Administering humidified oxygen
• Measuring peak expiratory flow rate
• Measuring pulse oximetry (oxygen saturation)

Youtube Videos:
• Oxygen therapy skills demonstration (20 minutes)
• Performing Venipuncture - taking blood (7 minutes)
• Wound Irrigation, Packing and dressing (7 minutes)

I also invited my (new) boyfriend around to practice venepuncture and wound packing procedure on him (just pretend of course, but using the actual equipment to build up my psychomotor skills), and he even gave me some constructive feedback. I hope I get to do venepuncture in the exam because of the three I think it's the most straight forward, uncomplicated and I've had quite a bit of practice doing it both in the labs with the fake arm, and on clinical placements.

No comments:

Post a Comment