Thursday, May 20, 2010

Last Day of Clinical!

Today is the last day of my first clinical placement. This week has been really good compared to last week. I haven't been stressed at all. Yesterday I got a chance to watch a surgery - plastic surgery on a hand. I had the opportunity to stay with and look after the patient - a Vietnamese butcher who cut his hand with a knife - from when he was brought up to the ward from emergency until he had his surgery and went home. Unfortunately for him that took more than 2 days but for some people it takes longer because what they need isn't high on the priority list. It was interesting to see the whole process of putting the patient under general anaesthesia and watching them wake up. He was very talkative when he woke up and wanted to know how the surgery went so it was good for him that I was there, otherwise he wouldn't have had anyone to talk to. He said 'you look apter me bery bery goo. my English no goo but you alway understan me'.

Another great thing yesterday was that I had my final assessment with my clinical teacher and I have passed this clinical placement satisfactorily. We don't get any grade, just satisfactory or unsatisfactory. I also gave two injections yesterday - woohoo! Everyone else had an opportunity already and I was waiting and waiting, hoping I would get a patient who needed one. Now I feel complete, LOL. My patients didn't wince or cry, they both said 'you did it good'.

No comments:

Post a Comment