Monday, May 31, 2010

Lectures completed!

Today I worked again but I think I will have the rest of the week off to study (not booked in for any more teaching this week). Last week I went to uni to return library books and borrow more books for both exam studying and my assignment. I've had the same books out all semester and renewed them three times (the maximum) for a total of three months. It's saved me a lot of money on buying text books. The books that come in handy the most a small ones that I can take with me to labs but for big expensive textbooks I think it's best to borrow them from the library.

I've been catching up on a few lectures that I hadn't got round to doing before my clinical placement. These are the topics:
• Neurological Assessment (includes all the senses)
• Anti-depressants and mood-stabilizing drugs
• Anti-psychotic drugs
• Anxiolytic drugs
• Psychotropic and anti-cholinergic drugs

Now I've completed all the lectures, every single one including all the online ones and the ones recorded live at uni. Currently I'm working on my assignment, have done the outline and research, and I'm also working my way through all my vocabulary, which is a huge list of about 200 medical words that have come up in lectures that I don't know the meaning of. I'm using my medical dictionary that I bought recently and is probably the most useful of all my books. When I was going to classes I took it to uni every day and got a lot of use out of it.

Last week Manny had a big operation. He had teeth cleaning to remove a buildup of plaque and four teeth were extracted due to gingivitis. He had to go under general anaesthesia and have an IV drip! He had a bandage on his arm from the IV and as soon as he got home he took it off, LOL. For the last few days he's been on a soft food diet and as of tomorrow he'll be on a special diet to keep his teeth healthy. He also needs to lose 500g to get his BMI in the 'healthy' range. I can't believe he's 'overweight'. If Manny's overweight, the majority of cats in my neighbourhood must be OBESE! I think it's a case of 'average' not necessarily indicating 'normal' or 'healthy'. A lot of humans in western countries are overweight but they think they are 'normal/healthy' because in those countries the 'average' person is overweight!

No comments:

Post a Comment