Monday, March 21, 2011

Neurosurgery clinical - Day 2

Very long and productive day today. From 9 - 11am I had a lab class in which we did Basic Life Support (CPR) practice and refresher, nasogastric tube insertion, and epidural management. Not all nurses can insert and remove epidurals, you have a gain specific accreditation at least a couple of years into practice. But we will be expected to assist, assess and document.

Then I had a break and spent some time in the library researching for my assignment that I'm currently working on. Reading I did today:
Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council National Competency Standards for the Registered Nurse
• Continuing Competency Framework
• Managing the Transition from Student to Graduate Nurse
• Becoming a competent, confident, professional practitioner
• Becoming part of a Team
• Managing approaches to nursing care delivery


Following that I had a very interesting shift with some new experiences:
• Neurological observations on a patient with Post Traumatic Amnesia (he was assaulted to the head in a nightclub)
• Neurological observations, full nursing care (hygiene), pressure area care, and drug administration via PEG (directly to the stomach) on an unconscious patient.
• Care of a patient with halo brace, accompanied him to his x-rays and helped him sit up and get out of bed for the first time since his accident.



I didn't get home till 10:30pm. Luckily tomorrow I am on afternoon shift again. But then on Wednesday I have an early start. I don't like late finish then early start because it is impossible to get 8 hours sleep in between. The most I could get would be six hours. If I get home at 10:30 there's no time to wind down afterwards, and I have to be up again at 5:00am to shower, have breakfast, catch the tram and be there again by 6:45. I'm not complaining but I wouldn't like to have to do that on a regular basis. It really messes with your body clock.

2 comments:

  1. This occupation gives genuinely quality substance. I'm definitely feat to examine into it. Really rattling tile tips are provided here.

    James Makker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your information.It is really good and helpful for the people.Keep giving such a valuable information.I will wait for your next post.
    Regards:spine surgery india

    ReplyDelete