Friday, April 16, 2010

End of week update



This is my uniform that I'll wear on my hospital placement. I bought two tops, hopefully that will be sufficient. I'll probably have to do a mid-week wash. I still need to get a couple of pair of black tailored pants with pockets and some black shoes and socks. I'll go to Target next week for those.

Yesterday I had a long day at uni. First I met up with my Clinical Assessment and Decision group to plan our group project which is a 1200 word nursing care plan and a 15 minute oral presentation. I am going to do the Nutrition and Hydration part of the care plan and for the oral presentation we decided to do a role play which I am going to write, direct and organise props and the other 5 members will play the parts.

Then had a two hour Acute Care workshop which was very boring and I struggled to keep my eyes open. Got my first assessment back which was my oral presentation and report on informed consent. I got 9 out of 10 which I'm satisfied with. That was worth 10% of my mark for the entire subject. After that it was Clinical Assessment Lab and we covered a lot:
• Using an opthalmascope and otoscope to examine inside eyes and ears
• Check blood sugar level
• Examining the neck for injury and swollen lymph nodes
• Doing an ECG (Electrocardiogram)

My blood sugar was the lowest out of everybody's! The normal range is 4 - 8 and everyone was in that range, except me - mine was 3.0. Everyone was like "Kate you have to eat!" I'm sure they all think I'm anorexic now, lol. I guess that's why I was falling asleep in the previous class. I did eat in between classes, I had 3 onigiri (homemade seaweed riceballs with tuna inside) and some dates, but I guess that wasn't enough. I'm definitely someone who needs to eat every 2-3 hours and I am going to make an effort to eat a bigger lunch/breakfast before I head to uni and if I don't have time I'll just buy something to eat when I get there. The range of food on campus is actually really good and not too expensive. The other day I got a really yummy lamb curry for $5.80 and took it home and made my own rice. It was a good size and lasted me two meals. If I bought that from a local Indian takeaway it would cost twice that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment