Friday, June 4, 2010

Practise session

Today I was at uni from 10 till 3 practising clinical skills with a couple of classmates. We did: aseptic technique (took a couple of dressing packs to practise more at home too), nasogastric tube insertion, injections (just on the sponge, not on each other!), setting up and administering IV fluids, and removing stitches and staples. I feel pretty confident about this exam now, in terms of clinical psychomotor skills. Will practise aseptic technique dressing pack a couple more times before the exam on Tuesday and will also do some reading about all the theory behind everything so I can explain stuff in more detail in the exam while I'm doing it.

We also got two of our scores back for group assignments. We got 78.5% for the group assignment (which was worth 10%) and 93% for the oral presentation, which was worth 15%. I'm really happy with those scores, it's very encouraging, and I think my group worked really well together. Group work can be tough if the members disagree on how to do things, or if some don't put in enough time and effort and just rely on the others too much. I'm glad my group also trusted me and were enthusiastic about my crazy ideas for our oral presentation, like everyone had to play a character, learn the script that I wrote, wear a costume and bring in props (eg, nursing uniform, one guy even wore a wig that I bought) and I used my iPod for sound effects and music to suit each scene. It was very different from what the other groups did, but in the end it paid off and everyone was happy with it. It's not enough to just present the information by talking to the audience because it's too boring. Of course, the content is very important but you have to present it in an 'engaging' way too otherwise the audience might get bored. As a teacher I've sat through and assessed about a hundred oral presentations myself and I think I know what works and what doesn't!

This weekend I need to finish off my assignment and I'll be handing it in on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment