Friday, August 27, 2010

Quite bored

I haven't posted much on my blog lately because there hasn't been much going on. I've finished uni classes. I think my group presentations and assignments in the last week went really well but I haven't found out the results of those yet. I got 17/20 for the Community Nursing Test which was worth 20%, and now I'm just working on assignments and reading to prepare for my placements.

The two assignments I'm currently working on are a 2000 word essay about Community Health Needs Assessment and a 1000 word care plan about a blood transfusion (Acute Care). When I've done those I've got two more 1000 word assignments to do as well which I'd like to get done before my clinical placements start in two weeks from now.

I've also been adding to my reading some books about drug and alcohol (and other addictions, like gambling), to learn more before I go on my community placement.

So this is a summary of my learning for the last week or so:

Lectures:
• Nutritional Disorders
• Applying the Recovery Model of Intervention in Mental Health Care
• The Role of the Mental Health Nurse
• Analyse the impact of mental illness on the individual, their families and communities
• Mental Health Act 1986: relating specific mental health legislation to the provision of mental health care
• Mental Health Assessment and Treatment Planning
• Carer Perspective – this lecture was given by the mother of a paranoid schizophrenic and she talked about her experiences caring for her son throughout his life.
Reading
• Addictive and Risky Behaviours: Drugs, Alcohol, Inhalant Abuse, Smoking, Eating Disorders, Self Mutilation and Internet.
• The User: The truth about drugs and why people take them – this book is made up of factual stuff about drugs as well as interviews with recreational users, dependent users, parents, police officers and so on to get different perspectives on drug use.
• Drugs in Society: A History
• The Epidemiology of Australian Drug Use
• Ulcerative Colitis
• Peptic Ulcer Disease
• Crohn’s Disease

Tonight I'm going to a 30th birthday party of one of my primary school friends, looking forward to catching up with old Darwin friends, and according to the invitation "all alcohol will be provided", so should be a lot of fun, LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment