Tuesday, June 29, 2010

2 exams to go!

Yesterday's Actue Care exam was much easier than I was expecting. It was only 30 multiple choice questions and I was pretty certain for about 70% of them. The rest I made an educated guess. Nearly everyone left half an hour early! Today's pharmacology exam was very hard. 100 multiple choice questions, all very wordy and complicated, a few of them asking about drugs I have never even heard of (and I reviewed every drug we learned about in our lectures and case studies). I was certain for at least half of my answers, others I used "deductive reasoning", and few I just had to guess at random.

Tomorrow's exam is Clinical Assessment. There are a lot of different body systems to study but I'm concentrating mostly on the heart because it's so complicated and confusing to me, interpreting the charts and knowing the difference between all the different heart problems. Here's an example:

Mr Smith is diagnosed with an inferior myocardial infarction (heart attack). Which cardiac artery is usually affected with this infarction site?

a. Circumflex artery
b. Left anterior artery
c. Right coronary artery
d. Right coronary artery or dominant distal left circumflex


Answer: D

What part of the heart is affected with an inferior myocardial infarction ?:

Answer: Base of the left ventricle.

What lab study is most specific for acute myocardial infarction?

a. elevated sedimentation rate
b. elevated blood sugar
c. elevated levels of creatine kinase - MB
d. elevated levels of creatine kinase - BB


Answer: C (it's an enzyme released by the cardiac muscle)

No comments:

Post a Comment