Monday, June 14, 2010

Drug Administration Exam

Today this afternoon I have my drug administration exam which is worth 45%. I could be assessed on giving an injection (subcutaneous or intramuscular), nebuliser (eg. for asthma), topical (eg ointment or patch), ear/eye drops or oral drugs. I've been practising preparing injections, and I had lots of practise with oral drugs and drops on placement. The only one I'm nervous about getting is nebuliser because I haven't done it before. So this morning I watched some videos on Youtube that demonstrate it step by step. This exam includes reading time to look up the relevant drugs and check for type of drugs, actions, side effects, normal doses, nursing precautions and follow up care. In the real world you would also do this before administering any drug.

On the weekend I went to uni and met up with a classmate to practise focused health assessments: neurological, cardiovascular, respiratory, elimination, musculoskeletal, integumentary, and mental status. We also compared cue cards which we can use in the exam. Her exam is this Friday and I am her patient, and then next Tuesday I have my exam and she is my patient. We have to organise our own patient for the exam.

No comments:

Post a Comment