Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Results are in!

Yesterday was the first day of the Orientation for my course. The night before it was so hot (35) and humid I couldn't get to sleep till about 3am. I did not feel fresh at all when I woke up at about 7 and ended up sneaking in a bit of extra sleep. Consequently I missed the morning session which was an intro lecture, overview of the faculty or some such thing. I did about half an hour of dancing to my So You Think You Can Dance fitness DVD* (see review below) after I got up and I felt heaps better. I wish I could exercise in the morning more often. I made it to the afternoon lectures which were about our clinical placements and study skills, and found out from other students what information I had missed in the morning. Very little luckily!

After I got home I went to the gym and did some more fitness (cardio) and popped into the supermarket to stock up on bananas. When I got home I checked my email and there were my results from Anatomy & Physiology - 89%! I'm very pleased with that. I got 58/60 for the practical work and 31/40 on the test. So I was right about how many answers I knew! The scores for everyone ranged from 74 - 94. Overall I'm happy with the result and what I learned in that one week.

Last night there was a documentary on SBS called "The Children's Ward" which I watched. It was about an Italian medical NGO called Emergency which has set up free children's wards in Afghanistan and Sudan. All the children in the Afghanistan ward were victim of exploding landmines and had horrific injuries to their hands and/or legs. In many cases they had to amputate. It was really harrowing, I think it would be very sad to do this kind of pediatric medicine. In Sudan, the main patient was a 15 year old boy with rheumatic heart disease which if left untreated would mean he only had about 6 months to live. They gave him open heart surgery and repaired his heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment